The What’s Cooking Blog is about cooking with kids for a better body, planet and community…
As a mom and business owner who is passionate about teaching kids to cook and eat healthy food, it seemed only natural for me to join the blogging world. What’s Cooking blog shares recipes, tips on cooking and planning meals with kids, and ideas of how we can help our community and planet through food and cooking.
After a post-collegiate stint at studying primate mating behavior, I taught high school biology and environmental science for 5 years. Now, instead of parenting 150 high school students a day, I focus on my own two wonderful children, various 4-legged pets, backyard chickens and quickly expanding vegetable garden.
When I’m not spending time with my family, I run What’s Cooking, a certified-green company that offers healthy and seasonal cooking classes to kids in the San Francisco Bay Area. Not only do my classes teach kids and their families to enjoy delicious home-made foods, but they also motivate families to use food and cooking to help those less fortunate.
A few tasty tid-bits:
- My workshop, Kids Cook For A Cause, will be offered at the IACP annual conference in Portland on Saturday, April 24. It will pair world renown culinary professionals with local 4-H students to prepare a meal that we will eat with young adults from Portland’s Transitional Youth Program.
- I am thrilled to be a featured holiday blogger on Oprah.com in 2009!
- In the past two years, I have appeared on ABC’s live talk show, The View From the Bay, 7 times to share tips on cooking with kids, waste-free lunch and holiday food ideas.
- I am currently working as the Community Outreach Director for DooF, a multimedia company that strives to make good food fun for families.
- I received a grant from Heifer International to participate on an Educator Study Tour to Honduras in the summer of 2007, where I learned about sustainable development and the prevention of hunger.
- I helped my friends, the owners of Spread, to cater the Celebrity Poker Tournament at the 2006 Emmy Awards. (The people watching there was amazing!)
- I assisted my friend, Jennifer Carden, to style food for a Thanksgiving-themed Satellite Media Tour for Food Network Star, Guy Fieri.
- In the past year, I have been fortunate to meet Jacques Pepin and Mollie Katzen, both of whom praised my work on helping families cook and eat well together. Wow – praise from Jacques!
For a bit more about how my business got started, you can take a gander at this post I wrote in response to several requests.